In our last meeting we had a look back at twenty years of Delphi.
This month we will be giving a sneak peek at the next version of Delphi and talking about Embarcadero’s road map.
Please join us.
Thursday, April 2nd, 2015
North York Central Library – 5120 Yonge Street
6:00PM to 8:00PM
I’d like to thank Warren Postma for giving us the benefit of his significant history with Delphi from before version 1 right up to XE7. In spite of some technical difficulties, it was an interesting walk down memory lane and sparked some great discussion.
Warren has gone to the trouble of recording his presentation and putting it online. Please enjoy:
Since then, Embarcadero has updated their road map, giving us some hints about what to expect in 2015:
We are planning to have another user group meeting around the last week of March. Stay tuned for more details.
You are a highly experienced Delphi developer who knows what you’re doing, who has been developing with Delphi for lots of years, and who gets it. You must have at least one other developer who agrees with that assessment of you.
To start with, you will be expected to work on our main application as well as providing guidance to your peers. You will also be expected to:
- Review and clarify proposed code changes.
- Code and test.
- Hand-off the result back to project staff for review, deployment and delivery to the client.
Strong interest in web technologies and their potential
- Excellent analytical skills
- A careful, detail-oriented approach to your work
- Good business and technical English (typed and spoken)
- We do not require formal qualifications beyond Grade 12, but we absolutely require enthusiasm, energy, and a willingness to learn!
Nice to have
- The initial position will be mostly home-office-based; you will need an Internet connection and a quiet office space in which to work.
- A valid Ontario driver’s license and the ability to travel independently in southern Ontario is helpful but not essential.
Take Action Now!
Please email: christine@TimeCraft.ca
We are pleased to announce a new Toronto Delphi User Group meeting in honour of Delphi’s 20th anniversary.
Warren Postma is a long time Delphi user, has worked for Embarcadero and is currently an Embarcadero MVP. He will be taking a look at Delphi’s history and evolution, recent advances, where it stands today and even a little bit about where it’s going.
Come out and share your stories.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Toronto Northern District Library – 40 Orchard View Blvd
6:00PM to 8:00PM
Please RSVP so we know how many people to expect.
The domain has been renewed after all.
Sign of the times…
It’s been a long time since there have been any meetings of this group, and despite intentions, this site has also not been active at all.
As a result, and with some regret, the time has come to officially retire the TDUG site. The domain officially expires September 23, 2014 and will not be renewed.
To the few who have requested job postings over the last 2 months or so, apologies for not following up, but your job posting would simply not get any worthwhile exposure here. I urge you to use the popular job sites like workopolis.com, monster.ca, or careerbuilder.ca, or use recruiting companies – some of these are good and I have personally benefited with two contracts this past year as a result of companies using these services.
Finally, we would like to see if there is any interest in one final get together for a drink or two. All members are welcome. Date and place to be decided once we have an idea of how many would like to join us, it would be somewhere in Toronto of course. If you are interested please use the Contact Us link at tdug.com so we can get your name and email. A reply no later than August 31 would be appreciated.
Start Date, Contract Term
Immediately – 2-3 months
Our U.K. IT team is converting from a Delphi Point-of-Sale system to our in-house developed Visual Studio POS. We have several contract Delphi developers located in the UK, but need a developer to be located in Victoria to assist in the conversion.
Delphi, C# Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008
Additional Assets (nice to have)
(250) 595-5211 Ext: 5235
Start Date, Contract Term
September 2, 2013
We are looking for a developer to create report template and reports using Delphi and ReportBuilder.
The project is expected to last about a month
Experience using Delphi 2006 and SQL 2005
Please send resume to email@example.com
Start Date, Contract Term
Immediate start – full time
This Software Developer position will create enhancements, code corrections and new functionality for our applications. The Developer will be involved with both support and programming roles and works in teams with other developers, technical support, QA and
management. Unlike most development firms, where the development process is broken
out over several job positions, we believe that each individual developer should be involved in all possible aspects of software development.
- Develop software using one or more programming languages, including but not limited to Delphi (version 6 and higher).
- Design / develop reports using Crystal Reports
- Deliver fixes, enhancements, interfaces, and new systems in accordance with expected schedules.
- Assist with the time estimates and documentation needed for project development.
- Where required, prepare written design specifications for enhancements and/or new development.
- Work with Product Manager and/or Director and/or other Domain knowledge experts to determine project scope and methodology.
- Collaborate with other team members and the members of other teams for the purpose of sharing knowledge, experience and ideas and completing projects.
- Understand design and implementation of existing systems and apply necessary enhancements where required.
- Contribute to customer satisfaction by ensuring accuracy, quality and fast delivery times in all duties.
- Perform thorough unit testing and ensure that software developed integrates into the core system.
- Prepare testing scripts for QA personnel to use in verifying functionality and performance.
- Learn new technology and languages as required.
- Provide on-call support as scheduled.
- Maintain careful version control and keep Salesforce records current.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years development experience
- Must have experience in Delphi (6 and higher) and Crystal Reports
- Embarcadero InterBase (2009 and higher) and MS SQL Server experience an asset
- Must have demonstrated overall comprehension of Windows Operating Systems, Web Services (XML, XSL, SOAP, WSDL)
- Must have demonstrated understanding of strong object oriented programming
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Knowledge of hospitality industry’s data processing needs and requirements an asset.
- Demonstrated technical writing ability.
- Ability to learn and master new technologies quickly.
- Flexibility in design and development approach, with ability to adapt to different styles for different projects.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, and to cope successfully with diversity and complexity in a pressured-development, rapidly changing environment. Adaptable to changing schedules, with willingness to work weekends, varied shifts, split days off, and long hours where necessary.
- Ability to multi-task. Patience, flexibility and an ability to handle pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and team relationship skills; able to work well individually or as part of team.
- Focuses on project quality, completeness and thoroughness rather than on time clocks and/or routines.
- Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality concerning development projects.
W5 Resources Inc.
(905) 940-0255 ex.2
RAD Studio XE4 in Action LIVE!
Thursday, June 6, 2013 @ 6:00-8:00PM
Northern District Library, Toronto
Welcome to this RAD Studio event focusing on iOS development.
RAD Studio is the multi-device, true native app development platform for everyone who needs to develop apps for desktops, tablets and smartphones, and get them to market fast. You will see how you can manage one codebase, one team, and one schedule without sacrificing performance. True native apps give you faster applications with more control, tighter security and a better user experience.